Friday's Whims of the Time Traveler 31.0: November 6th, 2008


Midnight Telephone
by Belinda Roddie 

He called me one night while I was sitting on the couch,
Emptying a bottle of Amaretto and watching Rod Serling’s face
As he spoke of a macabre demise coming my way.
He called me then, and the taste he gave was not as sweet
As what any glass of Amaretto would leave in my mouth.
He spoke of changing routine while I sat
With the screen casting my silhouette on the wall,
And as I listened, my own shadow seemed to nag me,
Frolicking at my silence, laughing at my calm.
He told me he had to keep moving while I, on this couch,
Could not, and hearing this, I could not help but
Laugh as well, laugh with my shadow,
My dancing doppelganger on the wall.
He asked, “Have you been drinking tonight?”
“No,” I lied, fearing that my wobbly pronunciations
Would give me away, “No, but have you
Been living tonight?” And I hung up.
He never called me back, and I, comfortable,
Undeterred from my nest, let Serling’s voice
Carry me away as I watched the cigarette
Burning in his hand, and I thought,
“One more drink will be enough tonight.”

The work you see here has not been edited nor altered since November 6th, 2008.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues