Tonight's Poet Corner: Chocolate Winter

Chocolate Winter
by Belinda Roddie

December bought me a
frosty at Wendy's,
with his scarf all bunched up
around his ears. The ice cream,
while delicious, tightened my jaw
and iced up my innards in an uncomfortable
blizzard grip. December noticed that I
was very cold, so he took my hand
(chilling it with his fingers) and led me
down long streets to his cabin.
There were eleven of his friends, some
sleeping, others playing chess,
others bundled up by the fire complaining of
the lost heat and summer chokeholds.
He sat me down at a small table and
stirred a pack of powder into a mug -
the best he could do in regards to
hot cocoa, but with toasted marshmallows
it meant more to me than the winter man
could ever think it was.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues