Freeform Friday: A Poem About Sunglasses

A Poem About Sunglasses
by Belinda Roddie

Oops! Looks like someone forgot
their shades at home when we went
on our ninety minute stroll. See,
she squints as we crescendo into hills
like musical notes in search of impact.

Meanwhile, my sunglasses are oddly
rose-tinted - literally, not metaphorically.
Still, I can't help feeling nostalgic for
a past in which restaurants and bars
were open, and no one was dying
of a brand new spanking disease.

My love was tired, but I was thrilled
to bask in fresh air and blue skies for
a change, out in the park where I stayed
six feet away from passerby to avoid
winding up being buried six feet under,
yet mentally, I felt like I rose six miles
under the ground and into the view.

And I kept my sunglasses on through
all of it, so the reddish tint could hint
at sunset - perhaps a quiet end to the
chaos within a few weeks (or God forbid,
a few months), as it drinks lots of fluid,
gets proper hospital care, and sleeps soundly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues