Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Week 1 of Social Distancing:

I've been running weekday conference calls for my students. My sophomores have been reading Macbeth, and my freshmen have been working on journalistic reports. I've been pleasantly surprised by how many have shown up to my Zoom calls. Also, I've been drinking an exorbitant amount of tea.

Managed to get two long walks in this week as well. The first walk was a whopping two and a half hours - my wife and I walked to Benicia Community Park, and I think it was worth it. Quiet, but beautiful. We then went to the Benicia State Recreation area today - shorter stroll by an hour. Gorgeous view of the Carquinez Strait, and we kept six feet away from people as much as we could.

I have played online Cards Against Humanity with my sister, my brother-in-law, and sometimes a couple of friends almost every evening so far. Even though my sister and bro-in-law won't be able to travel to California, seeing them even just online is a blessing. I miss them dearly, and I also miss seeing my parents, who are way closer. But I want them to be safe. II want us all to stay healthy.

Binx is not used to seeing me all day. But I don't think he's complaining.

I'm trying to take photos and have photos taken every day I have to stay inside. I find documentation to be crucial - not just for me to enjoy, but also for my future kids to see. Because they're going to need to know how to cope if and when a pandemic like this happens again in their lifetimes.

I haven't exactly done a lot of writing, and honestly, that's okay. This whole self-imposed isolation has been a strange experience, one I need to get adjusted to for at least the next month. I have a lot of fears and anxieties about the future: How many will die, how badly our economy will tank, whether or not I'll even be able to keep my job given everything. I know I'm super lucky healthwise and money-wise - I'm teaching remotely, and I'm still getting paid - but man, is it hard to stick to the mindset of one day at a time.

I really hope every single one of you is safe and sound and feeling good. Hold dance parties with yourself at home. Cook a good meal. Watch that movie or TV show you've been putting off. Call your family members. Call friends you haven't spoken to in a long time. Sit on the patio if you have one for some fresh air. And above all, take care of each other.

We will get through this. We may be a little bruised afterward, but we will get through this.

I love you all.

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues