Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Latest update: New job. I had my first training day, which was uneventful. First official day of work is Sunday - four and a half hours. And a good chunk of it will be spent on working on orientation tests and lessons. Still, the people seem really nice, and the atmosphere is just so much better than that other retail place I worked at. But I think part of the reason for that is this job doesn't focus on speed as much - it focuses on people and profit. Which is nice.

Then tonight, I was in the East Bay, having dinner with my relatives (the Blackfords) and then seeing my sister as Alice in Thoroughly Modern Millie (Pacific Coast Repertory Theatre, or PCRT). I've always liked that show, but this was a lot of fun - lots of great acting and singing, ESPECIALLY from the two older women playing Mrs. Meers and Muzzy. Plus it's always a blast seeing my sister perform. I think sometimes she doesn't give herself enough credit for her genuine acting ability, her amazing tap dancing, and her gorgeous voice. But hey, I'm around to remind her.

It's also refreshing to be with family who only recently I've been able to connect with. I've learned a lot about my genealogy (mother's side) as a result, and my cousins have told me stories about my grandfather, Margaret Barnard, as well as her two aunts Lois and Mabel. I was neither able to meet any of these women, and it is difficult when I'm reminded that I never really got to have a close grandmother. But at least I wear her class ring every day in memorial of her (though it's on a chain around my neck since my fingers are too big for it), a little something I can carry with me in remembrance of her. Or maybe I'm just painfully over-sentimental.

Anyway, let's get to the recommendations of the night.

Recommended Book: Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
It's the result of two fantasy writers with a wicked sense of humor. Read it.

Recommended Poet: Charles Baudelaire
There's something marvelously haunting about this poet's work, especially due to his raging alcoholism. Definitely for those with a taste for more vintage poetry with a sardonic twist.

Recommended Music: Pink Floyd
Epitome of an experience of sound. Not always melodic, but it makes any writer's mind wander to new places.

Recommended Drink before Bed: Chocolate milk
Just...be a kid tonight.

Writer's Quotation of the Night:

The coroner will find ink in my veins and blood on my typewriter keys.
-C. Astrid Weber

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues