Friday's Whims of the Time Traveler 12.0: September 10th, 2008

Life of Luxury
by Belinda Roddie

I am a very wealthy woman. My father left me this mansion, set with ivory gates and marble prosceniums. Any richer, and I would have jewels in my teeth. I live a life of epic luxury in large,
 empty rooms and wide hallways. It gets lonely in this mansion, and the corridors don’t help. They seem to lead to the edges of the world, but they only go so far. They should be made of stone.

I did love someone once. He died on the balcony, clutching his chest and dropping his champagne glass. It shattered into pieces so tiny that I could never clean it all up. I keep the shards in a box on my mantel. He was a gardener. Nothing has been planted so tenderly in the courtyard since.

I walk down these corridors every night. Perhaps I'll have the wood and plaster stripped and stone set into the twists and bends. It's only appropriate, for I live a life of cold empty luxury in a fortress that gives no warmth and no love.

The work you see here has not been edited nor altered since September 10th, 2008.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues