Tonight's Poet Corner: Self

Self
by Belinda Roddie

I do not believe in the concept of human enlightenment. Why? Because human enlightenment signifies human perfection within a human mindset, which is so painfully fragile and imperfect that it makes a fractured tibia look sturdy. There is a difference between "enlightenment" and self-awareness. Self-awareness is not simply being aware of oneself; it is also being aware that the self is constantly changing, and in a larger sense, the world is constantly changing. To claim that one is enlightened is ironically limiting oneself to new knowledge. We do not know everything. No one knows everything. If you're spiritual or religious, you are probably familiar with the idea that only God knows everything. And thank Him for that, because without the persistent pursuit of knowledge or recognition, there is no purpose in living because all method, mission, or soul-searching would be rendered obsolete.

Self-awareness provides the opportunity to grow and learn on a timeless continuum; your mind knows no bounds. It knows no walls. If I had decided I was enlightened at the age of seventeen, I would be a completely miserable young woman all because I was unable to accept the fact that every year, I am somewhat different as a person. I would have never come out as a lesbian. I would have never progressed as a writer or musician. I would have never improved my craft in any form. I would not feel the love I hold. The passion I keep. The endless hunger for something perfect in an imperfect world. Being "enlightened" would've made me far from self-aware.

Change is not a bad thing. It is not a distortion of the current. It is a progression of the current, a continual spiral or coil through the world that we follow on our journey to eternal education.

The self is never one thing. The self always ascends a staircase. It is constant, but it is moving.

It is constant, but it is changing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues