Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

So. I won National Novel Writing Month.

No, I don't get a prize. No, I don't get money. I just get the pride of knowing that after trying four times, I finally, finally reached the 50,000 word goal for the month of November.

It's kind of funny that I'm celebrating so much, especially after I finished a novel that was more than 75,000 words long in eight days. But it's still worth a lot to me to be able to face a deadline head-on and make it. Yes, I did get to the word count exactly on the last day of November, but it was pretty much purposeful. I wanted to pace myself out as much as possible, given my workload and the fact that I spend about 45 hours a week at a school where I obviously can't spend my time writing.

The novel's not finished, and it's still untitled, but there's only one chapter left (each chapter is named after a month in time in the story, so the last one is "June"). I'm really looking forward to wrapping it up and sending it to loved ones so they can read it, give me feedback, and help me with a title. Because I'm still drawing a blank. Gah.

Anyway, tomorrow is December 1st, which is exciting because it's officially Christmas season! I love Christmas time, and while I'm not super hyper into it, I will listen to Christmas music and wear red and green and sing carols and make Christmas sweets and all that. Plus I love Christmas trees, especially decorating my own. I love looking at lights. I love being able to buy gifts for my friends and family (I'm actually silly and got my presents for my girlfriend already. They're all wrapped and ready to go). I may not be able to see Arden until after Christmas, as well as a lot of my friends, but it's still worth it. Sure, it's no Christmas dinner with ham and goodies with my college buddies, but it's still Christmas. It's going to the Fairmont in San Francisco to have drinks out with the family. It's good, fattening food and just the outright ambiance of good spirit. I love it. And I'm looking forward to enjoying the month.

Yeah, the second half of 2012's gone pretty fast, despite a lot of work and all. Now all we need is a mention to end of the world conspiracy theorists - December 21st's when I have a high school reunion show where I'm reading some of my stories, so at least the apocalypse fear-stricken will appreciate my creative outlet for the day. But seriously, no dying before Christmas or before I get to see my girlfriend again close to New Year's. I think the Mayans agree with me on this one, too, because they believed in life cycles, not world destruction. Le duh. Excuse me while I push the bridge of my glasses further up my nose. But seriously, fearmongers, do your research on that stuff before jumping on flawed, inaccurate ideas. Don't let me be a nerd all by myself.

Wow, from the way I'm writing like a spaz right now, I must be tired. Happy, but tired. Time to wrap this up and enjoy a couple days off. We'll see if the rainy weather clears up, but I'll be fine either way.

Writer's Quotation of the Night:

My stories run up and bite me on the leg - I respond by writing down everything that goes on during the bite. When I finish, the idea lets go and runs off.
- Ray Bradbury

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues