Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Well. This has been a crazy end of the week. Not just because of select health issues. Not just because of the holiday season (I did enjoy decorating the tree, obviously). Not just because of my work. But also because of how scary the world and the people in it can really be.

I want to take the time to ask everyone reading to pray for the families who have lost loved ones in the horrid Connecticut school shooting. Twenty children were killed, out of twenty-seven deaths total. Twenty. Most of them not even older than five years old. Parents will never be able to celebrate Christmas with them again. Families will never be the same. The town will never be the same.

I don't want to flood anyone with my thoughts on how we treat both gun control and mental illness in this country - I have loads to say, especially regarding my inability to understand why guns are so awesome to people and why we stigmatize sick people who need help so much. I just want to focus on the deceased. They need our prayers. They need our love. Wherever they're going next, they need to be remembered. To those who have died: I love you, and I wish you were still here. To those who have lost ones: I love you, and I wish I could help.

All I can do is keep working at my own job, ensuring that the students at the elementary school I'm assigned to are safe, happy, and learning. That's all I ask for in this country, everyone: Safety, happiness, and love. That's all I ask.

I think I'll do away with the writing quotation for tonight. Hug and kiss your loved ones. Enjoy life. And have a safe and happy weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD