Friday's Whims of the Time Traveler 70.0: August 4th, 2007

Sober Thoughts
by Belinda Roddie

I’m going outside when the carnival’s over

That merry-go-round of everyday life

Each creature and beast not quite the same

But it spins in a circle every day

I’m going to the place where the moon is still sober

No wine from the flesh to satisfy

 

I wait until I can ride the tornado

Like the wispy gray back of a wild mustang

As it screams its demise, I cannot tear my eyes

From the hollow wood whose haven is mine

It takes me to the place where the moon is still able

To see clearly enough for it to be sane

 

And so when the fool’s wits are recovered

I drink a wine sweeter than the blood of the savior

Whoever it is who made the sacrifice

Whether to save us or just to be nice

I drink to the moon and my thoughts are uncovered

In the saving wine’s rich and blessed flavor

 

A feeling of peace pervades the midnight hour

When I leave the storm and dismount from my saddle

Into a sober night unsliced by the zephyr

Oh no! It is as gentle as ever

Though its voice is most often sour

Its touch is a mother’s kiss to ward off the shadows

 

So like a child, the pleading stars hover

Around my head, with multiple questions

Like why the skyscrapers truly scrape the sky

Causing welts of pain and the evening to cry

I remind them that we are meant to be brothers

Although it is love that I do not care to mention

 

I go to this place when the festival’s over

A place of intangible but natural desire

To be exactly what you are

Be it flesh and blood or the dust of a star

It is the place where the moon is still sober

Untouched by fire or unholy wine

It is the night by which it is satisfied

The work you see here has not been edited nor altered since August 4th, 2007.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues