Saturday's Storyteller: "Did I just say that out loud?"

by Belinda Roddie

"Did I just say that out loud?"

"Not just, dude."

"When?"

"Like, an hour ago. Before we had dessert."

"I said it out loud to them?"

"Yes."

"I did?"

"Yes."

"In front of everyone?"

"Yes, John."

"Even my mom?"

"Oh, yes, your mom was there."

"Was she hitting the gin as heavily as I was?"

"I wish I could say that, but I can't."

"...and my dad?"

"He...wasn't exactly thrilled, John."

"Oh. ...Okay."

"..."

"Aaron?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you hate me?"

"Hate you for what?"

"Being stupid?"

"No. No, sometimes you are a little...well, you're a huge doofus. But I can't hate you for that."

"You think my parents hate me?"

"I don't think so."

"Okay."

"But you could stand to cut back your alcohol intake by at least fifty percent."

"Fifty percent's way too big of a stat, dude."

"No, seventy-five percent's a big stat. Halving doses of Kahlua can do wonders."

"...I'll compromise on thirty percent."

"Forty-five."

"Forty!"

"Fine."

"Okay."

"...You're totally not going to cut back on your drinking."

"No, Aaron, I most certainly am not."

"C'mon. Get the stupid tie off, and we'll get to bed."

"...Aaron?"

"Yeah?"

"You think I ruined the family dinner?"

"Nah, man. Nah, you made it a lot better."

"Yeah?"

"And the look on your sister's face."

"I know, right? After I spilled my guts?"

"Yeah. Yeah, that was insane. And funny."

"But mostly funny, right?"

"I'd say mostly insane."

"...So."

"What's up, John?"

"I really did say it out loud, huh?"

"Yeah. Why, you gonna take it back?"

"No. I don't think so."

"C'mon. I'll put schnapps in some hot cocoa for you or something."

"Actually..."

"Yes, John?"

"Can I just get a hug instead?"

"...As long as you don't apply tongue."

"I'll save it for later."

"John."

"Take the joke, big boy. You still gotta live with me."

"...Hey."

"Yeah?"

"It's gonna be okay."

"It's gonna be okay?"

"It's gonna be okay."

"Okay. ...But you know what will make it better?"

"What's that?"

"A big fucking vodka and sprite."

"I'm on it, John. I'm on it."

This week's prompt was provided by Arden Kilzer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues