Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

(Ahem)

My darling turns twenty-two tomorrow -
away with the superficial sorrow
of nine to five days, burned alive by
the endless swarms of fireflies
perpetuating endless rhymes
of classroom rules and tutoring times.

This isn't about me, it's about her.
It's about nearly two years - yes, sir,
two birthdays in which I've been able
to celebrate with her at a table,
a park bench, a city, a restaurant, a walk,
a necessary romantic talk.

I may not see her on the second,
but in three weeks, the fates will beckon
us together, no matter the weather, to
tie the bonds between "me and you"
again. Again. Again. Again,
with the standard hope that it will never end.

But this time, we'll share a bottle of wine
and laugh over memories that are intertwined
with the wish that we, in our ecstasy,
make two Happy Birthdays into three,
and four, and five, and six - so here's
to you, mo chuisle, and to us, ALL THE YEARS!

Yeah. Tonight warranted this. Happy Birthday, Arden. Enjoy your twenty-second. I love you with all my heart.

Writer's Quotation of the Night:

I am a drinker with writing problems.
- Brendan Behan

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD