Friday's Whims of the Time Traveler 86.0: January 30th, 2009

I Took A Ferry
by Belinda Roddie

I took a ferry to the prettiest part of San Francisco.
My grandmother loved this place, where the bay waters
kissed the rocks and made the air taste salty on my tongue.
I thought of you, Eastern roots and Southern whereabouts,
wishing me in one place while I wished you in another.
We wished on the same star, which can’t take two wishes at once,
or else its energy grows thin and fragile like a web too heavy with dew.
So I thought about a song that claimed that to be loved
is all you have to ask for, and I wondered, “Does that mean
I shouldn’t ask for anything else?” But then I reconsidered
the question by that bay that cool evening, crisp and sharp
like saltwater, and I began to believe that love brought everything else
I needed, tangible and intangible, as the mist settled on my cheeks
and I kissed the fog where I beheld your face.

The work you see here has not been edited nor altered since January 30th, 2009.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues