Tonight's Poet Corner: I Hate Cucumbers

I Hate Cucumbers
by Belinda Roddie

It was around the time I hit double digits,
and my aunt took care of my siblings and me
when my parents escaped to French cafés and
London towers, that I realized how much I
despised cucumbers. Those atrocious little sliced
buggers hidden among the leaves that I was already
forced to munch on just tickled and tortured the
premature lobe of my underdeveloped brain, and I
cried after I had to eat them.

When I got older, I became less of a picky
eater, and a lot of the food I consume now is
the color green, from pastel to forest - spinach,
avocado, zucchini. Hell, I even got into pickles,
those crazy crunchers marinated in brine over time.
But never the things pickles used to be, never the
creature before reincarnation; not
cucumbers. I just couldn't stand 'em.

So really, when I think about it, as the
wheels in my head grow rusty sometimes and I
need just a little bit of creative oil to get them
turning again - I could question everything
about myself. Who I love. What I want. What I'll ever
know about my life or the goals I've 
chosen to charge for. But one thing I have

determined above all others, even when
my existence has flipped around and inverted
and I'm not even a
quarter of the individual I used 
to be - one thing that will 
never change, that will always be
the philosopher's bane of
truth - is that I hate cucumbers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues