Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Well, how about that shit? I guess I'm twenty-four.
Not quite as mechanically young as I was anymore.
This age ain't quite twenty-five; I guess it's got some bite.
Got more of a tang and effervescence than Corona Lite.
I'm more than empty calories, I'm not an easy meal
aimed to please you or your taste buds. I just make it real,
trying to find out a solution to societal collapses,
flood your consciousness with thought, overload your synapses.
Nerve ends igniting, overlighting with colors berserk -
from a mediocre twenty-four-year-old, that's some work.
I don't aim to bring flavor, or enact some petty favor.
I'll just keep the keyboard hot to bring you words that you can savor.

Birthday was today. Low-key for the most part, but nice. I don't consider twenty-four a milestone, even though it did bring out that weird, almost rap-style impromptu poem you just read. The thing is, twenty-four can be a solid number, so I'm going to enjoy it. So thank you to everyone who made my birthday awesome, and thanks for all the birthday wishes from those who couldn't be with me in person today.

The truth is, I'm sort of a half-step back from where I was when I was twenty-three. When I was twenty-three, I had at least a guaranteed part-time job in Marin, then replaced by a one-year commitment to AmeriCorps. Now that AmeriCorps is almost done and they won't be having BAYAC in Marin next year, I'm sort of stumped as to what to do for a job. I'm kind of back at square one, which is terrifying, especially if I want to move out of Marin and be with my girlfriend (who just graduated college and also has to look for a job).

But I'll keep writing. That will never change. So just hang on tight with me, and we'll see how this ride goes. It'll be one crazy-ass roller coaster, but I'm prepared for it. Are you?

Writer's Quotation of the Night:

Writing has laws of perspective, of light and shade just as painting does, or music. If you are born knowing them, fine. If not, learn them. Then rearrange the rules to suit yourself.
- Truman Capote

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone. I'm off to have some birthday pie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD