Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Okay. Let me give you the rundown:

I am six chapters into my newest novel/novella/whatever length it turns out to be, and it's been quite a process thus far. Now, you may think writing six chapters in a matter of a week is impressive, but please remember that I cranked out The Sequined Door in eight days, and the chapters in that story averaged about ten to twenty pages each. So far, this new book's chapters are very short (five to six pages maximum currently), so really, I've only written about seven thousand words so far, so about 1,160 words per chapter. Which is a small amount of work from me since, let's face it, I'm a very prolific writer.

Remember-that-prolific-does-not-equal-high-quality! Ahem. Moving on.

Why is this new project perhaps harder to take on than The Sequined Door, which record I don't think I'll ever be able to replicate; and [Insert Self-Discovery Here], which took exactly a month to write and was significantly shorter than The Sequined Door? It really does come down to the content itself. Unlike Sequined Door, which was super LGBT and whimsical and cheesy and fluffy, this new novel has a little bit more surreal and dramatic elements to it. A lot of it is still being drawn out mentally, as I have not written an outline out for it because I don't think the book calls for it (at least not at the moment), and really, it's less comedic and sardonic than something like [Insert Self-Discovery Here], which was very sassy even without having fabulously gay people making up over half of the dramatis personae.

Another big factor as to why it's harder to write besides the tone is the style I chose for it, especially the fact than I am writing from a third person point of view - which, honestly, is a lot harder for me to write than first person point of view. Therefore, there's a lot of restraint involved, and I'm trying really hard not to make the narration (and the Lemony Snicket-style author's perspectives scattered throughout) sound too much like The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland In A Ship Of Her Own Making, which is an awesome book, by the way, and you should read the Hell out of it.

So the new novel is called, The Authoritarian Auction, and it really is going to be something really different compared to my other novels. However, if you're one of my very few readers and somehow get your paws on the manuscript, you might find some similarities in the tone of Auction that match with several of my Storytellers and other short story blurbs you can see on this blog. I really don't know what's going to come of it. I really don't know how long it's going to take me to finish it, or whether or not it'll be any good. Obviously, I'm not dropping any of my other projects such as MCB or any play/screenplay ideas that smack me in the face as I stroll through my town. But who knows what'll happen. It'll be an adventure. It always is.

Writer's Quotation of the Night:

A lot of my writing is not terribly civilized.
- Suzanne Vega

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues