Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Well, this is it.

Next week, I start work at my new job. I'll be meeting new people, working in an entirely different district with an entirely different group of kids, raised by an entirely different-minded set of parents. I will be in the most affluent city in the county, which dynamics are excruciatingly contrasted with that of the school I recently worked with. The ethnicity is different. culture is different. The social class is different. And by all those standards, the attitude is completely different.

Yes, I did just type the word "different" seven times in the same paragraph. Go figure.

Am I nervous? Of course I am. Taking on a new job is nothing new to me - Hell, not counting this new job, I've worked at two different schools in the past two years. Part of being an educator is the struggle with a consistent job, and that's what I'm hoping this will be - a consistent job that I can keep at for a little bit longer than, say, one year. But obviously, with new territory, there are new expectations and new perspectives. The age demographic of my fellow employees will be different (at my last school, I worked with a lot of young adults like myself, and I don't see that happening in this new district), and the mindsets will be different. I just hope I can keep up with them.

Obviously, there's a lot for me to handle right now. I'm still at my parents' house and will have to start my job while still living in my hometown. I have yet to find an apartment because the two people I'm living with don't have jobs yet, and once at least one of them figures out a new job, then I can finally start considering moving out of the house I've lived in since I was two years old (if you don't exclude my stints in college dorms and apartments). I've filled up paperwork, and I've been fingerprinted, and I'm all official. Now it's all about not freaking out with a new job.

Don't worry. I won't freak out. I'll keep doing what I'm doing - writing and singing and performing and what not - but I won't freak out about this job. It's a nice job, and considering how much I had to do in my last job, I think this will be easier to handle.

I hope, at least, this will be easier to handle.

Writer's Quotation of the Night:

We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect.
- Anaïs Nin

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD