Saturday's Storyteller: In Memoriam

Hi, guys.

I know normally the drill for me is to have a fun little story for you based on a friend or family member's prompt. However, circumstances in my life and my hometown have convinced me that it's one of those nights when I have to take a break and remember someone who was a real ray of sunshine in a lot of people's lives.

So this isn't a story about fictional characters. This is a short but sweet story about a real and wonderful person who we lost way too soon.

Kozette Rushton - a loving creator, jewelry designer, wife, mother, volunteer, and entertainer - died on August 25th from a malignant brain tumor at the age of 61. While we were not particularly close as I got older, Kozette played an extraordinarily important role in my early creative life, being the main coordinator of the San Ramon Elementary School Talent Show for several years. I clearly remember the way she smiled and laughed as she handled hundreds of elementary school-aged students in choreographing enormous opening and closing numbers to the show - from "All Star" by Smash Mouth to a Lion King medley with legit costumes worn by some of the children. Her energy, smile, commitment, compassion, and generosity are things that I will never forget.

Tomorrow is a memorial service for Kozette, which is why it's fresh on my mind. I'll be going to the service, giving my condolences to her husband and two sons, and celebrating the incredible life that she lived. If you knew Kozette, you will understand what a tremendously beautiful individual she was. If you didn't know Kozette, just remember that she was one of a kind - truly, there are very few people like her in this world, and it's a shame that we had to lose someone of her ilk so abruptly and so unfairly.

Rest in peace, my dear Kozette, and thank you for everything.

Love,
Belinda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD