Tonight's Poet Corner: Kissing In The Candy Shop

Kissing In The Candy Shop
by Belinda Roddie

The rain has lessened somewhat, though
the cold is still lingering, handsome fingers
brushing against the denim of my jacket,
your fingers, painted, reaching for a plastic bag
so you can dump your fill of treats into
the price-managed reservoir.

We've brought coupons, minor attempts
to save on gummy bears and M&Ms,
peanut butter balls and jelly beans,
building blocks of sugar to stain our teeth
and please our tongues with.

You humor me, while I desperately try
to shove a quarter into a machine
so it can tell me if I am "mild"
or "spicy" in nature. I bite into a s'more
bar and caress your cheek with graham cracker
residue on my lips. To say you taste sweet
is both an exaggeration and a cliché. In
the candy shop, everything is saccharine
and sticky, and your kisses
are the comfortable kicks that offer me
sustenance compared to my artificial high.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD