Tonight's Poet Corner: The Girl With The Green Hat

The Girl With The Green Hat
by Belinda Roddie

I found you at the food court
when I wanted someone to talk to, and you
were wearing a bowler as green as spring
with a silver-topped cane at your hip.

You offered to share your kung pao
chicken because I didn't have the money
for my own meager sampling. I declined,
but then you bought me a pizza pretzel,
and that was awfully nice.

There was something about the way
you made jokes about the mannequins,
mocked the window displays, and found
glamor in the cheapest and wackiest
of the clothes on the clearance rack. You
made the hand-me-down jeans and jacket
I was wearing seem like something out of
a fashion show, and you never stopped
smiling beneath the brim of your hat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues