Tonight's Poet Corner: Our Last August Picnic

Our Last August Picnic
by Belinda Roddie

Pretty dame, serve me up
a hefty slice of that
summertime butterfly pie. It warms
me up good, so when I smile,
my teeth are sunset gold, the molars
capped with a residual,
yellow pollen glow.

There's enough blue in the sky
to turn the sea into sapphire. There's
a breeze soft enough to fluff
my hair like a pillow. Carefree
swimming pool days are finally
leaving, but I won't cry in autumn
as long as you're still with me.

Pretty dame, serve me up
a glass of wine to go with that
summertime butterfly pie. I am
aching with nostalgia, but I'll do
just fine with your arm around
my shoulder and your hip
against my thigh, guzzling
sunlight before the season dies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues