Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Stressful first part of the week and great second part of the week. While I was swamped with schoolwork from Monday to Wednesday, my good friend José - who will be the best man at my wedding - finally got to take a break from his hectic job and stay at my apartment for a couple of days. It was a lot of fun to catch up, as well as give my friend his first opportunity to visit San Francisco. We even got to tour LucasFilm, thanks to another college friend of mine who works at the company.

Most of my closest friends are those I bonded with during my university years, and sometimes I feel as if I take the relationships for granted. Last night, I got to catch up with my friend Chris, and when I had both José and Chris present - keep in mind, they were also my fellow musicians when we formed a band called the Castle Town Convicts back in college - I was able to compose music more easily. That's saying a lot because, since 2012, the amount of songwriting I've committed to, for many reasons, has plummeted. Having two of my best friends around, however, allows me to get back into a musician's mindset. I will freely admit that it is easier for me to create music when I am accompanied by those I performed best with. When I have José and Chris noodling on guitar and bass while I strum my own guitar/mandolin and sing, I am able to get into such a great head space and wind up with some really neat tunes.

Even with Facebook and Twitter and Tumblr, it is not an easy task to stay in touch with friends. It takes commitment, patience, free time, and a good memory. It means that, more often than not, you have to be the one willing to reach out and reconnect, and not expect your friend to do it for you. José and Chris have been great with keeping in touch with me even when I haven't been the best at doing the same for them. Some friends of mine, I really have to poke at to get a response. Sometimes, I try to catch up with them and all they do is postpone and apologize and reschedule and postpone again. It happens. With long-distance friends comes a priority list. It's a list I'd like to avoid, but it's still there, and it allows me to really determine who I'd like to stay connected with and who may not be as high on my list to rekindle a friendship with. That's normal. After all, back in my parents' day, if you wanted to stay in touch, you kept an address book and wrote letters than could take months to be responded to.

Case in point, as Thanksgiving approaches, I am always grateful for my friends. My gratitude for my job and my school and my family and my fiancée is a given, and one that I will reiterate when the holiday actually rolls around. For now, however, I am thankful for people like José and Chris, whom I can always talk to and feel like I can be myself with. Stay awesome, dude, as well as everyone else I still chat with from college. You made my four years at Chapman really special, and I hope we can keep creating good memories together even though our turbulent adult lives can be a bitch to handle sometimes.

To the rest of my few readers, of course, have a great night and a great weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues