Tonight's Poet Corner: This Is

This Is
by Belinda Roddie

This is a handful
of honey from the womb
of a mother who I never knew
how to love or why I should.
This is

a doorstop built
from the wood I collected
from streams when my feet
got too hot and my head
got too crammed with words.
This is

a paper airplane,
and this is its pilot.
This is his paper house
and his little
bleached paper wife.
This is a chalk drawing

of a bee hive that buzzes
with birds instead of bees.
A mother never taught me
how to love or why I should.
This is a man

trying desperately to be
more than sugar stuck
to a paper lullaby. He is
hungry. He is hot.
He is like me in that

the words ate him alive
and stripped him as white
as purged honeycomb.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues