Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Busy week. Been doing my transcription job, teaching, visiting the county fair, picking out a new bike to ride around town with, and watching Inside Out (which is fantastic and you should see it ASAP). And tomorrow, it's Wear My New 'Merica Tank Top And Eat Barbecued Stuff Day.

So the United States is officially two hundred thirty-nine years old tomorrow, which is fairly young compared to a lot of countries. And while it's always attempted to be cutting-edge compared to said countries, there's a lot that's changed and a lot that still needs to change. Obviously, we had the landmark Supreme Court ruling that legalized same-sex marriage, but first of all, the fight is not over, and second of all, we were, what, the fifteenth or so first world country to actually legalize it? I mean, Mexico beat us to the punch, and that's a predominantly Catholic nation. And of course, there are all the issues of a dysfunctional Congress, extremist politicians, climate change denial, bad infrastructure, police abuse, flagrant racism that has not gone away, massive surveillance, way too much warmongering...the list goes on. The United States is by no means a perfect country. It is far from perfect.

However, I do know that it's easy to idolize other nations when the country you live in seems to be so chaotic. My sister's boyfriend, who happens to be English, scoffs when people say they'd rather live in the United Kingdom than in the United States. I've met dozens of immigrants who find that getting a good job and making a lot of money is so much easier in America than it is where they come from. There is a lot of opportunity out there for businesses and investments, and while there's a lot wrong with the United States, there's a lot that some individuals are doing right.

My hope is that we, as a people, can see to our broken systems being fixed or overhauled and our society evolving and improving. It's our job as citizens to see to the benefit of our nation, as much as we can. Yes, we are really held back, especially by a political system that favors the rich and turns away the poor. But I think it's possible for the United States to remember its roots, to remember what it was like back in the day when the colonists felt so weighed down by the oppression of an overseas monarchy.

I will not say that I "love" my country. I don't love its history, considering its existence is based on slavery and the annihilation and genocide of millions of Native Americans. I don't love how it tries to seem so awesome when there's so much that's wrong with it. But I'm here, and I'm living in it. So tomorrow, on Independence Day, I'll remember that every step we can take forward is worth something. If you're an American, enjoy your hot dogs and fireworks and try not to burn anything down. If you're not an American, well, happy Saturday.

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues