Tonight's Poet Corner: Sonnet Solstice #200

I Woke Up
by Belinda Roddie

I woke up to a long and plaintive meow
from the next door neighbor's big, surly cat,
which seemed to want attention here and now
without being chased by a baseball bat.
I knew this grumpy tabby on the prowl
was looking for some petting and some food,
but when I came close, all it did was growl;
its grouchy looks mimicked its rotten mood,
though as it hopped inside on its bean-toes,
it found my roommate and started to lick
her face while she was attempting repose.
"What the Hell?" she cried. "Man, that cat's a dick!"
But instead of a meow, the cat said, "Herp,"
a hiccuping sound, while I just said, "Derp."

I recollected myself with some grass
to smoke, 'cause let me tell you, I'm no prude -
I'm used to my roommate being too crass
and to my friends being usually crude.
The cat then locked its sights on a poor bird
which rested on the pavement by a plum
that had fallen from the trash. So absurd
was the scene that I felt my ling'ring glum
emotions drop. I felt kind and gracious,
as the feline then targeted a moth.
Despite its girth, it was so tenacious,
not like a slow beast or a lazy sloth.
The night sky was murky like diatom,
the stars sparkling like when I went to prom.

This week's sonnet used ending rhyming words provided by Emilie Chiang and Lee Ann Batsel Steinmetz. Thank you both very much for your contributions!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues