Saturday's Storyteller: "Okay, so I know what eggs are, but what the heck is nog?"

by Belinda Roddie

"Okay, so I know what eggs are, but what the heck is nog?"

"I certainly hope you know what eggs are!"

"No, but seriously, what is nog? Why 'nog?' It doesn't make sense."

"You're really obsessing over this, aren't you?"

"It's racking my brain, man! I don't get it!"

"..."

"..."

"...Did you try Wikipedia?"

"...Dude."

"Yeah."

"Dude."

"Yeah?"

"Dude."

"Yeah?"

"...You're a genius."

"I know."

"...Hmmm. Okay."

"What?"

"Weird."

"What's weird?"

"I mean, the page says the word may have come from the word noggin..."

"Noggin? Like your head?"

"Nah, man, it's Middle English. Noggins were these little carved mugs that they served alcohol in."

"..."

"I'm serious! Like, little carved wooden noggins!"

"...Yeah, all I'm picturing is someone whittling a bunch of skulls out of blocks of wood now."

"Looked, I googled it, too."

"Oh, yeah?"

"Nog, man. A small block or peg of wood."

"Ah. So noggin..."

"Made out of a block of wood. Seriously, Aaron. This shit's real."

"No, I...I can believe it."

"Uh-huh."

"Middle English is weird."

"Tell me about it...Aaron?"

"Yeah?"

"In England, egg nog used to be called egg flip."

"...Hmmm."

"...Wanna drink some egg flip with me, man?"

"Only if it's got rum, John. Only if it's got rum."

This week's prompt was provided by Arden Kilzer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues