Tonight's Poet Corner: Dearly Departed Traveler

Dearly Departed Traveler
by Belinda Roddie

"I'm flying to Madrid and canoeing
to Greece," he told me over tea in the
cramped café built the middle of a sunset.
He wasn't kidding, either, and they found him
half-submerged in salty debris and driftwood
off the island of Crete. There were waterlogged
laurels in his curly hair.

Two weeks later, his sister bought
a motorcycle and rode all the way
from Boston to San Francisco to meet
me and spread his ashes in the Pacific.

"Not what he would've wanted," she told
me, "but I'm not renting a helicopter
to hover over the Mediterranean Sea." We
exchanged numbers that day. We had sex
for the first time four months later.

When I woke up for the first time in a new
place, I thought about packing just one bag
and camping out in Alaska like Chris McCandless
did, but with less dying involved. Then
I saw her curled up in the sheets beside me,
slightly drooling from the right corner of
her mouth, and I remembered that an adventure
was more fun to read about than to actually have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues