Tonight's Poet Corner: I Leaned Forward And...

I Leaned Forward And...
by Belinda Roddie

I kissed Robbie and felt his tongue turn
to dust against my molars. I kissed Michelle,
and it was like kissing the god of the sun - so
warm, so inviting, so rich in light and energy!

I kissed Edward, but his lips were stiff
and ossified like bone. As if he'd never dreamed
of loosening up to love a girl like me. I kissed
Johanna under a street lamp, which blew out
the moment her hand slipped under my shirt.
She took me home, but I grew cold as soon as
her body began its convulsions.

I kissed Sammy, Manny, and Tammy - the
triplets - all in a row at a birthday party. Sammy
giggled, Manny cried, and Tammy coughed
as if I had poisoned her. They all married
their high school sweethearts, I had kissed
each of said sweethearts at the senior prom
behind cheap plastic photoshoot curtains.

Finally, I kissed you, and it felt familiar,
somehow. A sense of déjà vu from all the flings
I'd had before. The desert and the oasis, the
fossil and the youth. The spasms and the laughter
and the tears and short, rough exhalations. And
you kissed me back, and I wondered what I offered

from my own mouth. A shipwreck? A hurricane?
That last fleeting moment of dusk before the sky
goes from purple to black, and all the constellations
hold one another as the heat dissipates from every
body held in sharp, romantic stasis?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues