Tonight's Poet Corner: A Modern Romance

A Modern Romance
by Belinda Roddie

I waited twenty minutes for her
in the concave parking lot, a cement
eye burning its gaze into the surface
of the earth, attempting to drill its
vision into the hot, steaming core
of the underground. When she arrived,

she was wearing a red leather jacket
and offered me a stick of pink gum. It
tasted like cinnamon. Of course.

We poured each other drinks in my
little hobbit hole, where the light barely
shone in. Flecks of honeycomb were in
my hair, spots of mead on my shirt. She
was the urban lightning bolt to my calm,
medieval summer day. A reminder of

the reality outside my fantasy home. No
dragons breathing fire overhead; only cars
and motorcycles spewing rage instead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues