Tonight's Poet Corner: Dear Shadow

Dear Shadow
by Belinda Roddie

You remember me? You tattooed yourself
on the wall of the art gallery
where I hung the shrapnel of my soul,
covered in oils and strewn across
a faceless, non-judgmental canvas. You
followed me everywhere, stitching your
hands into mine when I wasn't looking,
caressing my face when the light
hit my cheeks
at just the right angle.

I didn't see you when it got dark. Were
you afraid? Did you run away? You dress
yourself in black as if you're trying to conceal
the glowing veins around your heart. Hide
your head beneath a veil of endless words:
"Go away." "You're too clingy." "You don't
let me have time
to myself." Maybe when

the sun comes back, I'll see you clad in gold
raiment like a dark king. I would kiss you,
but I cannot find your lips. I would hug you,
but you disappear from the creases and folds
of my welcoming arms. So just stay with me,
friend, and I'll walk with you to bus stops,
coffee shops, and bridges
to nowhere. I'll be the one
to lead the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues