Tonight's Poet Corner: Flirting With Musicians

Flirting With Musicians
by Belinda Roddie

I broke three out of the six strings
on my guitar, so I carried it to
the music shop where you were fixing
a grand piano, and I loved the way
your fingers arched against the ivory
and ebony, the curve of its bones.

I asked if you knew how to restring
my poor, shabby instrument, and you
directed me to the man behind the counter,
whose beard was so majestic that I wanted
to snuggle against it like it was a rich,
red carpet for me to rest upon.

As he tinkered with my guitar, I saw her,
skirt bristling as she brought in her clarinet,
and I wanted her so badly to wet the reed
and trill the metal keys. That's when

I realized how much of a hopeless case
I was, so I hid my shame behind my fretboard
once the pretty gentleman passed it back to me,
and I played the same three notes over and
over again in the corner until the store
was closing and you very politely
asked me to leave.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD