Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Well, looks like another St. Patrick's Day is almost over! The wifey and I didn't do anything particularly festive - just worked and hit the gym and had dinner and a couple of drinks. Still, it was mellow and pleasant, and sometimes it's nice to act like an old lady and stay at home. No offense to any of the old ladies out there who might be pounding Irish carbombs at a pub somewhere in the bowels of San Francisco.

It's definitely been an interesting week. A lot of news has been coming my way, but it's mostly tied to a lot of waiting. I can't reveal much yet since a lot is still up in the air. Yes, I'm being vague as fuck. That's intentional. We'll see what happens next week.

I've been developing an idea for a third novel, though of course actually starting it is most of the battle. As I mentioned earlier, my wife and I have been trying to go to the gym about three times a week. We're also trying to go on at least one hike each week, since we will be backpacking in Yosemite! This is an entirely new experience for me, so I hope that once August rolls around, it'll be a lovely trip, and I won't be eaten by a bear. That is, of course, if the national parks don't get gutted by the soulless Congress and their pair-less leader.

Tomorrow, I'll be seeing a production of Oliver! which features one of my former students. It's always great to see the arts thrive even in difficult times. It's also a reminder to support the arts because sometimes, the government or mysterious benefactors may turn their backs on you.

Anyway, I'm sort of fading at this point in the night and will probably hit the sack soon. I know this introspection has been more a smattering of seemingly random thoughts and events, but I assure you, life has been, surprisingly, fairly consistent despite the embarrassing nightmare happening in D.C. I've been trying to enjoy each day while also remembering that nothing's normal and everyone is in danger and CONSTANCE VIGILANCE! I've seriously considered saying a prayer every night just to see if any good news comes our way, and I'm not even a practicing Christian anymore! I know that we have to be active (and vote. And vote, people) to make an actual difference. I hope that my teaching and writing contribute somewhat to that cause, and obviously I'm trying to find other ways to help through things like recurring donations to worthy causes, or helping those in need.

I occasionally look at activists' Twitter pages, and one such activist claimed, "We are our greatest strength." Don't forget that. Human compassion, in my opinion, always wins in the end.

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD