Tonight's Poet Corner: My Love In The Garden

My Love In The Garden
by Belinda Roddie

I scampered to seek out my love,
and I found him asleep in the garden.
Rose petals were caught in his hair,
and the winds gave his snoring no pardon.
How calm and so deep into dreamland
was he, my strange and impish darling!
With eyes bright as coals in a fire
and a nose like the beak of a starling.

I was strong, so I carried my love
to his bed and away from the garden.
As I wrapped him in sheets, he then stirred
just enough to speak in a weird jargon.
His words, how they pittered and pattered
and made not a sense in the slightest!
Though my beau was a quick, cunning man,
half-unconscious, he wasn't the brightest.

Two moons hung in saucers above,
and the window was peppered with stardust.
I remembered the day that we met,
and we checked to see who could run farthest.
My love was as quick as a fox,
and yet, to his chagrin, I was faster!
And I even could outrace my sister,
who gasped as I frolicked right past her.

'Twas the day I defeated my love
that I quietly knew I would wed him.
He was happy to lose both his shirt
and his trousers as I moved to bed him.
We were married about three years later
with Mother and Father both watching!
Both my parental units insisted
my dress and his suit would be matching.

My love was a beast and a beauty
who liked to take naps in the garden.
He knew that my friends were afraid
that as years passed, his heart would soon harden.
Instead, he grew softer and fatter,
and I couldn't help but to love him.
So I held both his hands as he slept
with the moons and the stars just above him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues