Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Today was a day off for me because of Veteran's Day. And though it was a lovely day, it was an interesting one, too, for a couple of reasons.

The first was centered around my visit to my former school. I had wanted to visit it for a while, and while I didn't really alert anyone in advance, I figured I'd step in and say hi while I was in the area. Needless to say, the reaction was more than just positive. I wound up spending two hours there - playing guitar with a former coworker, showing another former coworker the program I use for Yearbook, catching up with my former boss and team. At least two of my former coworkers told me outright that they wanted me to come back to Fusion, and I appreciated that sentiment, even though I knew that it wasn't exactly plausible.

My previous job was extremely fulfilling, fun, and inspiring. But that's not to say my current job isn't. Sure, it's different, and it's more difficult, and it requires a lot more work and time and patience. But I have learned so much from it. I've learned how to operate a DSLR and design a spread and develop curricula to match more needs. I've learned how to manage a team and use the one-on-one skills I practiced at Fusion to help students who aren't acclimated to that kind of attention. Teaching at a public school is a mixed bag, and yes, part of why I'm there is better pay, as well as better benefits. But it's a change that I can grow from, and I'm enjoying most of it so far.

But I do miss Fusion. Seriously. I spent some of the best years of my life there.

The second reason was centered around my hang-out with a good friend, after I spent time with my parents over lunch and later wine. We wound up going to one of our favorite sushi places in my previous town, called Umi. To my shock and dismay, I was told that the restaurant would be closing due to the building's rent doubling. I also slowly came to understand - as I indulged in some amazing sushi and may have run up quite a large personal tab - that this felt like a good ending for the guy who ran the joint. Change sometimes means being able to let something go and move on. I'll miss Umi and its incredible chefs and food, obviously; I spent countless nights there with my friend, chatting over California rolls and hot sake. But those memories mean something, and I'll keep them for as long as I can. Don't fail me now, hippocampus!

Anyway. Overall, it was a wonderful day off, and I appreciated being able to share my energy with people I deeply care about. And yeah, I was reminded of how change can be daunting and upsetting, but sometimes worth it.

Cool. We got a message in this introspection. You're welcome. Insert "The More You Know" here.

Now I just need to rest up for a wine and chocolate tasting with my wife and the parental units tomorrow. The fun and relaxation doesn't end! Until the end of the weekend, that is. Then it's back to grading for English and taking care of Yearbook. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp.

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD