Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Well. This was a week of emotional whiplash.

I've never been exactly a fan of waiting - whether it's for something to arrive, a response to a message, or simply a decision that needs to be made by someone other than me. I'm a doer, not a viewer (Heh. Clever), so patience isn't exactly in my arsenal of skills. And when I finally learn something or figure out something, only to have it abruptly change on me - well, that just completely messes with my head.

In more positive news, the yearbook my staff and I worked so hard on arrived yesterday, and holding that enormous tome in my hands almost made me cry (Then my staff made fun of me for it, so, yeah. Thanks, kids). It is a gorgeous book - not perfect by any means, with a few minor errors at least, but still something I am so incredibly proud of. I know how low the bar was set with the previous yearbook, so now I've raised that bar for myself as an adviser. And next year, I intend to raise it again.

Perhaps the thing that messed with me the most, however, was my living situation. I don't want to go into detail due to keeping confidentiality as a tenant, but this week, I was sincerely worried that my wife and I would have to move out of our condo. As of tonight, we're still unsure what's going to happen, as our landlords have not quite yet decided on their next move. But I am sincerely hoping we can keep the status quo at least for another year.

Obviously, I don't make a lot of money as a teacher. And because Arden is working to be a full-time artist, it's going to take some time - or maybe a lot of time - before she can achieve a consistent income. Right now, we're still making ends meet and keeping our debt manageable, but it gets frustrating when we're not able to save a decent amount every month. The cost of living where we live is so high that I have to bite back a curse whenever I hear anyone saying teachers don't deserve a significantly higher wage.

We can definitely adapt and make things work if we do have to move or resettle or adjust costs. I just don't want to have to.

In the meantime, there are less than two weeks of school left, though I will also be the summer school English teacher for tenth and eleventh graders (some of whom I flunked myself...oops). I have a three day weekend to enjoy. I have a long overdue dentist appointment scheduled. I'm hoping I can continue to do well at this exasperating thing called adulting.

So...wish me luck!

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues