Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Hi! I'm at my parents' place, petsitting their dog and cat with my wife! Summer school is tough. I kicked a student out because he wasn't taking anything seriously. Harlan Ellison died - great writer, terrible person. Oh, well.

I'm going to the county fair tomorrow. That'll be fun. I'll also see if I can still keep working on Season 2 of Goza and a new short film script called, No-Show. I didn't think the latter would turn out that great, but I actually think it's flowing nicely.

Oh - and I'm interested in self-publishing [Insert Self-Discovery Here]. For those of you who haven't been hanging around since the beginning, I wrote the novel in 2012 during NaNoWriMo. I've been able to edit it and add about 15,000 new words, making it essentially a story about four queer people living in a cabin in the woods together for nine months. Sure, most of it is from the perspective of one character, but hey - I think it's about time I put something out.

I used to have this real icky feeling about self-publication - mostly because back in the early 2000s, it really wasn't seen as a positive thing. Self-publishing your own work, according to some naysayers, sent the message that your story wasn't good enough for the big publishers. And admittedly, some self-published novels - as they haven't had the treatment needed to ensure they're well written and edited - are just downright bad.

Like E.L. James' Fifty Shades Of Grey series, which made bank despite being garbage.

Oh, shit, SHOTS FIRED!

Anyway. I'm over that. I'm tired of holding myself back and not showing off my work because I feel like it needs some golden stamp from HarperCollins or Random House or Simon & Schuster. More and more people self-publish incredible work these days - in podcasts, comics, art shops, videos, and yes, blogs and online publishers. Hell, I publish my own work every day: On this blog. It's time for me to show off what I'm proud of, and if people want to buy my stuff and read it, that's awesome.

So, yeah. Stay tuned for official news and details about that. Publishing [Insert Self-Discovery Here] is a ways off for now, considering my workload and other projects (and the fact that my wife is going to be helping me, and she has her own stuff to take care of as well). But it will happen. I used trusty social media to gauge my friends' interest, and the response I got back was incredible. Thank you, and I hope you're still down to purchase this thing!

Man. Feels good to take my destiny into my own hands.

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues