Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

I'm exhausted, but let me explain why.

And no, I'm not going to go over the absolute clusterfuck that was this week politically, with Russia and borderline treason and pseudo-presidential craziness. As far as I'm concerned, the orange man can jump off a cliff and take his Kremlin buddy with him. There. Got that out of my system. Moving on.

This week was the second yearbook camp I attended. I had five students attend (and four stick around the whole time). We came up with a brand new theme for next year's book, got a cover designed, and practiced doing some spreads. Two of my students won an award for best theme copy, and I personally think we did some incredible work.

I mentioned before how being a yearbook adviser is sometimes really tough for me. It wasn't something I ever planned on being, and the time I have to spend to work on a yearbook really eats into my ability to do the things I really love, like write and act and create music. I love teaching, but getting only two thousand bucks a year to create a three hundred page book is a bit...iffy to me.

Nevertheless, yearbook camp did remind of some of the things I love about being an adviser. I love doing photography and design. I love seeing my students work together and do well. I'd like to be able to take a step back this year and really let the kids lead. Will it work? I dunno. But I do know I have a better team with more variety in grades, skills, and interests. I think things should be good starting in late August.

Oh, yeah, and I'm teaching all tenth grade again! Lots of stuff to play with in this year's syllabus and curriculum. I like changing things up.

Recently, in personal project news, I also got to finish another short screenplay, titled No-Show. It's a simple little story, but I got to read it aloud with my wife tonight, and she thought it was charming. It's hard for me to write stuff that hasn't been produced (yet...), but I love being able to create and finish these kinds of projects. I'm also more than halfway through Season 2 of Goza, which has been a doozy to write, but it's been totally worth it.

In terms of plays, I actually sent Good Children to a friend who has some connections to companies that put on original shows. I don't know if anything's going to come out of it, but it's nice to have acquaintances and colleagues in the theater world, even though I haven't been as active in it myself. I'm working hard, especially this summer, to ensure that I have as much to offer writing-wise as possible - even if perhaps I don't have the time or energy to actually perform in a play. Maybe I can do a reading? We'll see.

Despite being super tired from yearbook camp, I actually took some time to start writing my latest Storyteller. Now, if you've been reading my blog for some time, you know that 1) I don't normally start writing my Storytellers in advance, and I certainly don't bring them up in introspections, and 2) My Storytellers haven't exactly been...well...anything lately. Just a few sentences slapped together after scrounging for a prompt (which these days, my wife happily offers me). But my point in bringing up this particular Storyteller is that I started writing during yearbook camp starting two days ago. I'm not sure how long it'll end up being, but I intend to complete, and I've been having a lot of fun so far. It's just cool to see how despite my mental and physical energy, when I have the inspiration, I still write. A lot.

Already coming up with new ideas for webseries and screenplays, too. But of course, one step at a time. I'd like to finish Season 2 of Goza before starting any projects that involve episodes or longer storylines. I also gotta figure out what to do for money over the next month - I'm on a ten month payment plan, which maybe I should change, so if any of y'all know of teaching or writing gigs in my area that I can do until August 20th, let me know!

In the meantime, sleep summons me. Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues