Tonight's Poet Corner: The Alternative

The Alternative
by Belinda Roddie

When the pressure runs deep,
and the fever pinches
both sides of my head
like raw dough in summer heat,

there's the urge to ignore the endearing
tone of a loved one, who urges
me to remember the sun
shaving its upper lip with the
cold, silver razor of the horizon.

It's easy for people, who stand
where the breeze hits them
at an angle that warms their bones
rather than freezes them, to tell
me that things will get better.
But I retort that taking it one day 

at a time doesn't help much
when every hour feels like an eon
on my brow, and every minute
laces its fingers around
my heart and squeezes
the arteries so that all reason
is backed up in my lungs and
spine like excess fluid, every second

takes another inch off my height,
another week off my life. You view
the shore ahead of me and what
appears to be a clear, blue sea,
but the foam is sticky, steeped,
heavy like molasses. I wade

my way across, but I'm left
clogged up and stained. My head
is half-tilted like a weather vane,
swiveling toward the mouth
that swallows the wind,

and I wish I were heading back
toward, of course, Ireland. I wish
I had a boat, and that I was sailing it
through the dents and divots
of caramelized sugar

to the cliffs and peninsula,
rimmed with green and sustained
music, free from queens
and hierarchical drama. Blessed

with the streams of poets' labors,
words like water turned to vapors
surrounding pubs and nature,
blended into a cup of steam. I can
find a city where the people say
what they mean and mean

what they say. Where storytellers
dip their biscuits in black tea and hold
the discs up so that the brew turns
to silver in a light you can't bottle
or sieve. I can settle my soul

where the emotionless air is
actually clean. I can make up my
own percussion as each unstable, mossy
boulder careens. I can pretend

I actually know something when
the culture I'm submerged in holds
my swollen ego in low esteem.
Atlantic currents teeming. Claddagh
rings gleaming. Stereotypes demeaning.
Penny whistlers screaming.
Penny whistlers screaming.
Penny whistlers screaming.
Penny whistlers dreaming

about Kerry and Moher
and a new lover far beyond their
nostalgic borders. They break bread
and hope the same for the chains
that hold them to these blasted burrens.
They're more than willing to leave

the artificial madness behind for me. Their
escape is far different than mine; perhaps
we should switch places. If only
to regain calm in my ocean. If only
to regain feeling in my face.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues