Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Hear ye, hear ye, friends! Behold: My 400th Introspection!

I will say, anxiety remains a friend of mine, and I continue to be haunted by its "persuasive" efforts. But! I will focus on the positive here. I had a blast with my sister and brother-in-law, the latter of which opened my mind more to whiskey than I ever thought possible. That, and the fact that I got to see my first Broadway musical ever was so cathartic and affirming: Who knew that I just needed to see lesbians falling in love and going to prom to feel validated?

I am amazed, day by day, by how much my English students love me and appreciate me...and by that same token, several of my Yearbook students do not. I've definitely dealt with some unnecessary sass and "Someone pissed in my cereal" mentality from my staff, and I will say, it does sober me up a bit, considering how I have a confirmed new school to work at. I often wonder if, should I have simply been hired as an English teacher, how successful I would have been at my current school without having to worry about Yearbook. Some elements I simply will not miss.

As much as teaching Shakespeare's Julius Caesar is like leading a crowd of children through mud, I must say, I've been rather impressed by some of my students' resolve to understand the craziness. I will miss them dearly, and I wish I could take them all to my job. But alas, life isn't fair, and I have to deal with the consequences of my more anxious actions, despite the benefits I've bestowed upon the classes I run at this moment. Oh, well!

In the meantime, this weekend, I'll be able to both celebrate my brother's birthday and Mother's Day with the most incredible mother I could have ever asked for. I hope you all get to celebrate with your mother or the most "motherly" figure in your life, and if not, enjoy your time with loved ones, regardless of the holiday. I love you all.

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD