Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Huh. Bit of a strange week, if I say so myself.

Not for the usual reason, mind you - it wasn't an emotional roller coaster. It was just...a regular roller coaster. Full of unexpected rises and dips and loop-dee-loops. Is the metaphor working? Probably not.

Since my last introspection, I spent a lot of wonderful quality time with my sister and brother-in-law. We went to the fair, had a fun party with old and new friends, went out for drinks and a bite to eat - it was really nice. Then Tuesday, I did quite possibly the most ridiculous work-out I've done in a while - then promptly drove to my old town for drinks with a friend.

So by Wednesday, I was exhausted. Not only was I in pain, but my feet and ankles actually swelled up and stayed that way for a couple of days after the gym. I had no inspiration to write beyond the blog, and while I did start editing a novel (by the friend I went out for drinks with), I wasn't really tackling the projects I said I would tackle this summer. Instead, I downloaded Heroes of the Storm and have sometimes played it for hours on end.

It's really fun, y'all. I can't help it.

I think it's tough to make yourself do any work, let alone freelancing projects, in the summer. I mean, I do not miss the days I had to work or teach over the summer, and I pity anyone who has to keep going to work during the warm months, when all you wanna do is sleep and barbecue and swim and go on vacation and have fun with family and friends and loved ones. I know I ought to be building curricula for next year and getting some creative juices flowing, and I have made progress. I guess I also have to remind myself that it's okay to just enjoy the break.

Also, I can't go that hard at the gym next time. Because geez.

Obviously, my novel will still be self-published by the 20th of next month, and I will (hopefully) be getting some motivation back on other work. For now, however, I'm recuperating, especially physically. I'll be seeing a friend tomorrow, which is nice, and resting up.

***

Bit of a segue now, but I'll conclude my introspection here: Tonight, I went to a vigil that raised awareness of the horrible conditions of the detention camps in this country. If y'all been living under a rock, trust me, it ain't pretty - these kids are at physical and mental risk, and we need to find a way to stop it. If you're not sure what to do to help immigrants trying to find a better life in the United States, you can donate to organizations like RAICES, volunteer for your local charities, or even poke at your representatives. The vigil in my town was beautiful with a lovely turn-out, but it was so, so very hard to hear those stories from speakers, of which many were immigrants themselves.

I am trying to use my privilege as a natural-born citizen as much as I can, so click here if you want to help.

My wife and I walked back home with our "candles" lit. Even as we navigate our own lives and passions, we want to help others who don't have the luxuries that we do.

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues