Tonight's Poet Corner: I'm Trying To Work Here

I'm Trying To Work Here
by Belinda Roddie

Can you still write
while I'm distracting you?
Trading love letters with your neck
and jaw, stamping red words into
every divot in your collarbone - like
a picture frame, I decorate you. I provide
ornaments to your already pristine portrait.

Can you still think
while I'm distracting you?
Look, the goosebumps rise to the occasion;
like little soldiers, they report for duty,
all long the drawn battle bases on your skin.
Now I trace a fresh sketch on your cheeks.
Playing connect-the-dots with my lips.

You can still laugh
while I'm distracting you.
When I nuzzle you, you exude warmth
and comfort despite the dew that
lingered on your face many hours
after morning. I peruse you, I stimulate
you, I even push you to the limit -
until the odd taste along your ear stops me,
and I decide to cease and desist for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues