Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Wow. Um. Okay. I did not expect that Thanksgiving break would wind up kicking my ass.

So this week was rough. Not mentally and emotionally, mind you: My classes went well. I had a lovely evaluation meeting with one of my assistant principals. I felt productive and level-headed as a teacher for the most part. I got to get some students inspired about poetry, and a few of them actually asked me if I would be willing to start a poetry slam team on our campus. Another assistant principal asked if I could be his teacher sponsor for No Place For Hate, and I said yes. So hey - not a bad haul.

Oh, and tonight, two of my former high school students who have recently graduated came over for hot cocoa and good conversation. So that was pretty sweet.

But physically...holy shit, dudes. I mean, I was a hot mess sleep-wise. I think my sleep deficit plus my commute is finally starting to catch up with me after almost four months at my new school. Not only that, but I had two panic attacks in two consecutive days, completely unprompted, which is not the way my jam usually is. Heck, I was ready to give some health professionals a call and figure out what was going on! But things settled later in the week. I'm healthy. These attacks happened when I wasn't on the clock. So that was good.

That being said, I've definitely had to pull back on a few things. I successfully got to my NaNoWriMo goal, so while the novel's far from finished, my writing pace has definitely slowed down a lot, and that's fine. I've had to catch up on grading, and many of my students want feedback for their performance poetry, so I need to focus on that. Not much gaming, but I squeeze in what I can. Mostly this week? I've been resting on the couch with a blanket over me, listening to Christmas music while I scroll on my phone or do crosswords.

It's been a nice start to the Christmas season. The decorations are up in our condo, my wife and I have been getting into the spirit and doing Vlogmas, I didn't survive Whamageddon...it's December, all right. And I'll be doing some more Christmas-themed Storytellers in the meantime.

Also, is OneWord officially dead? Because I'm wondering if it's officially dead. It's been months since I've gotten anything other than a blank page on that site, folks. Months.

All right. My goal for this weekend: Catch up on sleep and take it easy. I can manage that.

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues