Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Yes. Yes. Two weeks off, lovelies. I made it!

So after having drinks with some of my coworkers following the last day of school before the holiday break, I went home and started figuring out my schedule. Tomorrow, I'll be hosting a small Winter Solstice get-together, and I thought, I should make some chocolate fudge. It had been years since I had made a batch, so I was raring to go.

Turns out, I burned the sugar slightly and let the mixture of the sugar and evaporated milk cool too much, so my fudge turned out grainy and lumpy. I almost threw it out. And I cried, of course.

I think my emotions came from two places: One, I'm exhausted. Like, seriously, I am worn out. I love my job, but working at a school with a 4x4 block schedule - meaning we're doing 90 minute block classes for one semester - can be straining. I'm grateful that I managed to plan out my grading so I don't have anything to fret about during the holidays. And two, I think I just wanted to make something nice for the people I love. I hate messing up (big shocker, I know), so botching one of my favorite high calorie treats was a bummer.

After some tears and some back pats from the wife, I decided, to hell with it. I kept the fudge. And I'ma call it, "I Fudged It" Fudge. Or just "Fudged" Fudge. Here's what it looked like after I poured it into the buttered up pan to chill in the refrigerator.


Yum - delicious cubes of caramelized chocolate sand!

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the break. I'll be sleeping in, playing computer games, seeing family and friends, celebrating the holidays, hopefully getting back to writing (working on my incomplete NaNoWriMo novel would be a...well, novel idea. Har, har), all that jazz. I'll let y'all know how my holidays go.

I wish you all a wonderful Christmas, Hanukkah, Yule, or whatever else you celebrate. Be safe. Be happy. Do what is healthiest for you during the holidays.

Love you, everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues