Tonight's Poet Corner: You Caught Me

You Caught Me
by Belinda Roddie

I never felt the way I do now
until you kissed me while I was still crying.
It was like each tear was simply seasoning
added to the exchange, the salt we needed
to add sharpness. Just the right amount of it.

I know the mousetrap closed on me long
ago, but the bait was too enticing, and the pain
they said would linger is nonexistent. Like faith
sucked into a vacuum. Like oxygen abandoned
in a bottle in the middle of the universe.

Adrenaline is best mixed with rum. Endorphins,
I prefer added to champagne. And seratonin -
my God, I need the pills to regulate it,
but you incentivize it, and like the stock market,
it skyrockets before it dips, and I crave sugar.

Sugar from your lips, your contact, sweet
sensation left in particles on my tongue.
Fuck the fear of diabetes: I'm only interested
in feeling this way forever, our bodies
curved around each other like metal springs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues