Tonight's Poet Corner: My Denim Girl

My Denim Girl
by Belinda Roddie

She wears jeans for every occasion:
for dances and weddings and birthday parties.
I try to convince her otherwise, but
she's in love with the Denim God, so I guess
I gotta appease the deity somehow!

When I proposed, she had denim capris
on. When we married, she wanted to wear
a ribbed vest of muted ocean blue.
Now I watch specials on Netflix with her,

and her comfy pants aren't softer than
warped cotton, lemme tell you that right now.
But God help me, I love her for it: for when
I take her out for drinks, her Canadian tuxedo

is the best. And as we feed the jukebox with
copper and nickel candy, she spins me around
in a bar that embraces her aesthetic. So I'll
cave, what the hell: She deserves it, and I
myself am partial to corduroy myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues