Saturday's Storyteller: White Privilege

White Privilege
by Belinda Roddie

My name is Belinda Roddie

I am thirty years old and was assigned female at birth.

I live in the California bay area, and I openly identify as gay and non-binary.

I am married, have a stable income and job, and live in a safe neighborhood.

I grew up with both of my parents, my brother and twin sister, pets, accessible transportation, affordable healthcare, and safe schools.

When it comes to many of the positive things I have in my life, I can connect back to white privilege.

This does not mean I have not faced difficulties.

This does not delegitimize my struggles with my sexuality, my gender identity, and my emotional disorders.

But it is a fact that white privilege benefits me every day.

How?

Time to turn to a list I saw on social media that I think sends a strong message.

I stand with my black brothers and sisters.

I will not be killed.

I can go jogging (#AhmaudArbery).

I can relax in the comfort of my own home (#BothemSean and #AtatianaJefferson).

I can ask for help after being in a car crash (#JonathanFerrell and #RenishaMcBride).

I can have a cellphone (#StephonClark).

I can leave a party to get to safety (#JordanEdwards).

I can play loud music (#JordanDavis).

I can sell CD's (#AltonSterling).

I can sleep (#AiyanaJones).

I can walk from the corner store (#MikeBrown).

I can play cops and robbers (#TamirRice).

I can go to church (#Charleston9).

I can walk home with Skittles (#TrayvonMartin).

I can hold a hair brush while leaving my own bachelor party (#SeanBell).

I can party on New Years (#OscarGrant).

I can get a normal traffic ticket (#SandraBland).

I can lawfully carry a weapon (#PhilandoCastile).

I can break down on a public road with car problems (#CoreyJones).

I can shop at Walmart (#JohnCrawford).

I can have a disabled vehicle (#TerrenceCrutcher).

I can read a book in my own car (#KeithScott).

I can be a 10yr old walking with our grandfather (#CliffordGlover).

I can decorate for a party (#ClaudeReese).

I can ask a cop a question (#RandyEvans).

I can cash a check in peace (#YvonneSmallwood).

I can take out my wallet (#AmadouDiallo).

I can run (#WalterScott).

I can breathe (#EricGarner, #GeorgeFloyd).

I can live (#FreddieGray).

This is reality.

Enough is enough.

#BlackLivesMatter 
#BlackLivesMatter 
#BlackLivesMatter 
#BlackLivesMatter
#SayTheirNames

Say their names.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues