Tonight's Poet Corner: A Long Overdue Letter

A Long Overdue Letter
by Belinda Roddie

Dear twenty year old me: 

I must inform you that your lack of self love
is alarming, and oh so pruned, groomed,
and primped in your scribbled dramas.
I think I burst a blood vessel reading
the third act of that one play in which
you acted like your sexuality was
God's eleventh fucking plague.

Tell me, was it all the wafers you
consumed in front of Christ's altars,
and they stayed glued to your tongue
and weighed you down, chiding you
for your so-called sin? Or was it
the media you devoured, too, the kind
that paints all lesbian lovers' life
in the pall of a greedy Grim Reaper?

I have to wonder if that night, when
you nearly prayed in public, sitting
on the curb near your OC apartment
bawling your eyes, you started
actually learning that who you were
attracted to wasn't something to be forgiven,
but something that made you more lustrious?

Would you say to your future wife (and
she is one hell of a looker, I can tell you
that) that you're happy to have married her,
but you just hate the burden, the onus,
of being so obnoxiously gay so very much?
And if so, how do you think the poor
blonde bombshell would actually react?

I feel bad for you, twenty year old me,
because you have not yet learned the fact
that your expression of love is beautiful,
like starlight caught on Van Gogh's canvas,
like madness bottled in crystal and glittering.
Would you believe me if I told you
that after a decade, you would not want to
be, or love, anyone else but this?

The Bible you're still hugging against your chest
insists that you "love thy neighbor as thyself."
If that neighbor becomes one with you
in your bed, will that love still be equal?
Yes. It will. I can promise you that. For I am
the covenant incarnate, the rainbow arch

that your Lord provided, swearing to a ragged
Noah that his connection with humanity would
never falter or fluctuate again. Believe that,
my poor young past soul. You deserve a break
from the cocktail of self-loathing. Drink
something stronger, but also more nourishing.

I have a glass filled to the brim for you.
It is the blood of our new and everlasting
Covenant. Be free to scream at the end of
the Day of Silence, to dance to Lady Gaga's
"Born This Way" with your university's QSA,
to write songs showing adoration on the girl
of your affection, picking yellow roses
and throwing thorns at false doctrine.

And be free to kiss the one you will marry
with all the strength and fortitude of the flood.
Trust me: You'll thank me for it later.
I would know. I live a life of fresh self love.

Yours, in ever queer affection,
Me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues