Friday's Whims of the Time Traveler 5.0: February 29th, 2000

My Fine Friend Ricky
by Belinda Roddie

Ricky is very active. He's one strong and tough guy, but warm in the heart. Whenever he gets into a fight, he never gets licked once. And what's more, he is my best friend.

Let me describe how Ricky looks. First of all, his hair is so messy it sticks out in different directions on his head. I always try to make Ricky shampoo, wash, or even just trim his hair, but he never listens to me. Also, people always say he's always in the sun since he's so tan, but I don't agree about that. Lastly, his nails are very long. I offer him a clip every day, but he never cuts his nails. One thing that really gets me is Ricky's teeth. It's like they're all canine teeth, all pointy and sharp.

Ricky lives in a cave-like house with no electricity, only flaming torches. He doesn't like electricity, and the fire from the torches keeps him warm. Also, Ricky sleeps in a ragged bed, the blankets made of animal skin and the mattress held together with twine. Ricky never uses his blankets; he just curls up on top and falls asleep.

We always go to the lake and fish. Ricky doesn't need to use a rod. He just sticks his arm into the water and tosses out a fish. Sometimes, Ricky takes me to the forest by his house. I always make a crown of leaves and place it on his head, pretending to crown him king of the forest. Ricky never goes into the city I live in. He says he doesn't want to be a city-slicker, and he loves the wildlife.

Ricky has a friend named Lucy. She doesn't have wild hair like Ricky's. Hers is straight and slick on the top of her head. She also doesn't clip her nails, and she has sharp teeth, too. I don't really like Lucy, but she's one of Ricky's best friends, so I say nothing.

Now, let's talk about food. Ricky never eats any fruit or vegetables. He only takes vitamins, which give him the nutrition of fruit and vegetables. Ricky is a meat-eater, or, as you might say, a picky eater. If he eats anything that doesn't any meat in it, he gets very sick. Every time I come to his house for dinner, I bring my own food. Ricky always has antelope or zebra or something like that on the table.

My alarm goes off. I get out of bed, slip into my clothes, and swing my backpack over my shoulder. Another day comes. Soon I'll be with Ricky again. As I hop on my bike, I think of what my sister says to me every time I'm about to go to Ricky's house. I've made a lion my friend by taming him, and I'm proud of it.

The work you see here has not been edited nor altered since February 29th, 2000.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues