Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

Retail gives people opportunities that you wouldn't expect. For me, it's connections. My first week of work, I met a Zen poet named Tai Sheridan while ringing up some headphones and other accessories for him. We started chatting about writing and he told me to contact him. He's done some crazy work in the past two years - nine novels of translated Buddhist text that's been converted into poetry. So I figured that since he was kind enough to forge a connection, I could tell you guys to check out his work. Check out the links section of my blog for his website, and he also has a blog you can follow.

The great thing about retail is (most of) the people as well. You are always going to meet interesting folk. The poets, the thespians, the businesspeople. There are stories to be found with these people regardless of whether the experience is negative or positive. And that's what I like. That's what allows me to work in retail without having a cynical mindset, because ultimately there will be at least a few people who will converse with me, make me smile or laugh, and brighten my day.

So as you can probably tell, it's work and writing for the most part with me. I've got my blog, a TV drama outline I've been obsessed with lately, and some new songs. When I have the opportunity, I'm going to try to find a way to splice music into my blog posts, maybe even giving you a chance to hear me read some of my poetry. I'm a writer with the opinion that half of the experience of fiction or poetry is listening to it, while the other half is reading it. Granted, some writers just aren't confident readers, but many like me have a flair for the dramatic and can keep your attention pretty easily. I've had experience at poetry nights and short story readings. I'm all set.

Now time for the regular recommendations:

Recommended Book: Watchmen by Alan Moore
Another graphic novel recommendation, but this is the best of the best.

Recommended Poet: Tai Sheridan
Well, come on, what did you expect?

Recommended Music: Thomas Newman
Another movie composer who knows how to take atypical instrumentation and make incredible music with it.

Recommended Drink before Bed: Milk
If you've got calories to spare, have cookies, too.

Writer's Quotation of the Night:

The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it.
-Leo Rosten

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD