Tonight's Poet Corner: Introspection

With Valentine's Day come and gone, I've been thinking about how different my life is for many reasons. The first is that I'm out of college, looking for work despite being under the weather healthwise at the moment. The second is that I'm currently in a relationship. So even though my girlfriend and I were not physically next to each other for Valentine's Day this year, it was the first Valentine's Day I ever celebrated with a significant other.

My girlfriend and I have been going out for nearly nine months. Most of it has been long distance. We started dating in May, only months after I had come out as a lesbian on - ta da! - Valentine's Day! I know, kind of disgustingly convenient, right? But the thing is, we fell in love very quickly and we were unsure about whether or not this would work. And to our delight, it's worked beautifully.

While occasionally she and I become overwhelmed with our relationship, it's worth every minute. When I can see her, I adore cuddling with her, kissing her (even though I won't be able to kiss her for a while, due to the fact that I don't want to make her sick), and doing all sorts of things with her. I'll write scripts for her videos. She'll draw comics for my writing. We'll go on walks, watch movies, sing and play music together, talk, laugh, brainstorm...we're not just in love. We're also partners in crimes, creative comrades, and amazing friends. When I can't see her, it's texts and Skype galore, any way to keep in touch. And while we're both a bit "whoa!" in regards to how fast it went, we don't regret one minute.

This Valentine's Day, I realized that the right obstacles bring a lot of fulfillment. Any obstacle I face with my girlfriend is a perfect example. It strengthens me as a person and it empowers me as a lover. And I can only hope that people like me can find the one they love, too. Someone who embraces one's flaws while boosting up one's amazing characteristics. Someone who can work beside you and with you. I found that in my girlfriend, and I'm forever grateful for her presence and her love in my life.

...Oh, right! Writing! That. Here's a quotation:

The most beautiful things are those that madness prompts and reason writes.
- André Gides

Have a great night and a great weekend, everyone.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Freeform Friday: RSD

Today's OneWord: Statues